Half Ironman Triathlon Training 2017
Ironman 70.3 is waiting for you — we'll get you ready for a successful race experience!
(Racing another late summer Half Ironman, such as Door County, Muncie or Vineman? Training plans can also be adapted to another Half Iron distance race in the same, general time frame — just ask the coaches for details).
We have created a custom, 16–20-week program that will prepare you for the Ironman 70.3 (Half Ironman) distance triathlon, no matter what your experience level is. Is this your first half distance triathlon? Our coaches will guide you every step of the way. Looking for a PR? Let us challenge you and take you to the next level! Get motivated, meet some great people, have fun and get in shape all at the same time!
- Payment plans are available! We know how expensive this sport can be, and we want to help! See more details below...
- Three (3) Coached Group Training sessions per week!
- 16–20-week program to get you TOTALLY prepared, delivered online via TrainingPeaks
- Full Coach & Team Support at Racine & Steelhead races
- Custom, sublimated Team CES triathlon racing jersey — included!
Registration is limited to 75 participants, so join today!
Follow the links below to find out about this innovative, fun, successful program!
- Limited Space Available
- Open House
- Program Benefits
- Suggested Minimum Fitness Level
- Course Preview Rides
- Training Days & Locations
- Coaching Staff
- Clinics & Seminars
- Suggested Minimum Fitness Level
- How to Register
Limited Space Available
In order to maintain the high quality that CES is known for (and which participants expect of CES), this program is limited to 75 people. We've sold out the last several years, and this one will too — don't miss your chance — register today!
CES Ironman & Ironman 70.3 Open House & Clinic
Sunday, March 19th - 2:30pm
Fleet Feet Sports - Old Town (1620 N. Wells St., Chicago)
EXCLUSIVE deals from our program partners will be announced - some so good we can't even print them here! Don't miss out!
This is a great opportunity for you to see what the CES training program is like, so you can be sure that this is the right fit for you. Meet our coaches, sponsors and alumni. We encourage you to ask questions (and get answers!) You'll also meet some of your future teammates! We'll go over the structure of the program, explain the training plan and get you fired up for a great season of training and racing with CES! Registration will be available after the meeting.
And don't worry — we won't make you swim, bike or run... yet! Just dress casually and bring your questions!
Oh — and we hope you like beer.
Not only do you get to have a lot of fun, but you also get a ton of great stuff too! Check it out:
- Full coach & team support at both Racine AND Steelhead events.
- Professional, experienced (and nice!) coaches (more details)
- Personalized, daily training schedule delivered via Training Peaks for all levels of triathletes, including first time Half Ironman triathletes!
- Weekly e-newsletter with tips on training & program updates
- Weekly tips for training and Q & A with our coaches at all training sessions
- Coached group training—3X per week (more details below)
- 3 Supported, group course previews (more details below)
- Custom, sublimated Team CES Triathlon Racing Jersey — included!
- Custom, technical training shirt — included!
- Sponsor Benefits:
Discounts/promotions from our partners:
- Educational seminars & clinics (more info below)
- Fun, team social activities
- and much more!
Suggested Minimum Fitness Level
The Ironman 70.3 distance triathlon is a challenging event. To make sure this is the right program for you, we have established some minimum fitness requirements for participation. In addition to having completed a minimum of one or more Olympic Distance Triathlons in the last year, all participants should be comfortably able to complete the following prior to the start of the program:
- Swim: 20-30 minutes (1000-1500 yards) non-stop, easy swim (or with minimal rest)
- Bike: 1:30 (one hour, 30 minutes) nonstop, easy riding
- We HIGHLY recommend participating in a coached, indoor cycling class prior to riding outside, so you're ready to go when we hit the roads! CES hosts a GREAT class — please consider registering for it!
- During our group rides, Coaches will make their way between and among each group. They will stay with the main group of riders and cannot chase down those who strike out on their own, or can't hold the stated pace.
- Pace range is an average ride speed (not a peak speed briefly flirted with on a downhill with a tailwind).
- Three Pace Groups
- 17–21mph average
- 15–18mph average
- 13–16mph average
- Run: 45–60 minute easy run or run/walk
We're not concerned with how fast you go, but with your ability to complete the time/distance comfortably!
Course Preview Rides
Included in your registration are 3 supported group training rides and course previews, including one each at the Racine and Steelhead courses as well as the Ironman Wisconsin in Madison. Nothing will make you feel more prepared to take on the bike course than these fun filled training rides! All of this is included in your registration!
- Supported, group course rides:
- IM Wisconsin bike course ride
- Racine 70.3 race preview & brick workout onsite
- Steelhead 70.3 bike course ride & race preview
Training Days & Locations
Group training sessions are held three (3) times/week, beginning the week of March 27, 2017. For a little more detail on what happens at those sessions, read on...
Mondays or Tuesdays — Swim Training
7:45pm* - The Monday/Tuesday evening sessions will focus specifically on swim technique, endurance, power and speed. Each session will be led by our highly qualified swim coaches and will cater to each individual's skill level.
*Times Subject to Change to 6:45pm, based on facility schedule
Thursdays - Open Water Swim and Run Training
6:00am — (optional) Thursday mornings focus on swimming specifically in the open water. Our highly skilled and experienced swim coaches will teach you essential skills and techniques that will make you more efficient and confident in the open water. (Starts in July)
6:30pm — These will be primarily Run-Focused sessions, with an emphasis on technique, efficiency, strength & speed. Our coaching staff will be on hand to help teach, challenge and motivate you!
Saturdays — Group Rides and Brick Training
7:00am - The majority of Saturdays we will work exclusively on biking. Other weeks we will combine bike & run together. Our coaches will also train along with you to motivate you and help with any concerns or questions that come up along the way. Please note: Saturday biking workouts will depend on weather. We anticipate that we'll be able to start these workouts in late April/early May.
Where will we meet? It depends on the focus of that day's training session. Here are a few of the key training locations we'll be using:
- Ohio Street Beach — yes, we swim in Lake Michigan. A lot. Practicing in open water will help ensure confidence and a great race swim!
- UIC Sport & Fitness Center (West Campus) — Most of our swims will take place here, focusing on technique, power and speed.
- Fleet Feet Sports, Deerfield — We will host occasional rides from the store, combined with great clinics & information/support from the professional staff at Fleet Feet Sports, Deerfield. Full bike service & sales available.
- Buffalo Grove — This will be our main location for our longer bike sessions, where the roads are open and there's not a rollerblade in sight! The biggest benefit here is the access to varied terrain (can you say hills?)
- Plaza del Lago (Wilmette) — When we're not out in the Buffalo Grove area, we will travel to the northern suburbs for some of our bike sessions. This will also be a location for bike/run "brick" workouts.
- Race Course Preview: Racine/Steelhead — we'll be taking the group on a field trip to the actual race course, where you'll see the transition area, ride portions of the bike course and run part of the run course!
- Fleet Feet Sports, Old Town — For any of our "running only" training sessions, we'll meet at Fleet Feet Sports and head out to the Lakefront Path. There will be gear check, bathrooms, changing rooms, and water available before and after these sessions — sweet!
Clinics & Seminars
If you truly want to reach your goals, you need to do more than just put in the miles! Our expert speakers will present clinics on a variety of topics including (but not limited to):
- Triathlon Swim Technique
- Cycling — Skills, Maintenance & Equipment selection & Fit
- Good Form Running — improve your running efficiency
- Smooth, Fast Transitions — the "Fourth" component of triathlon
- Core & Strength Training with AthletiCo
- Injury Prevention & Flexibility with AthletiCo
- Food as Fuel: Sports Nutrition for Long Distance Triathletes
- Training Tools & Gadgets (GPS, Heart Rate monitors, Training Peaks, etc.)
- Mental Skills for Success
- Comprehensive Race Prep for each race
Our Coaching Staff
Craig Strong & Daphne Glover
We're extremely proud of our professional, experienced coaching staff—they always go the extra mile to make sure you have a fun, successful training season! Why is it so important to have qualified coaches? They can:
- Evaluate your current fitness level and goals to make sure you are training at an appropriate level
- Evaluate and suggest ways to improve your form & technique
- Assist you if you need to adjust your training schedule, in the event of an injury or missed training due to travel or life in general
- Motivate and challenge you to reach your goals in a smart, safe & effective manner
Click here for more information on our awesome coaches!
How to Register
Online registration is available at mindbodyonline.com by clicking on the link below:
|Group Training Program:*
*Limited to maximum of 75 participants.
|CES Alumni||New Members|
|Ironman 70.3 Racine||$479||$509|
|Ironman 70.3 Steelhead||$529||$559|
Payment plans are available! — simply contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set it up.
- $100 deposit and 4 equal, monthly payments (includes small processing fee)
Please note: Your entry fee to the race is NOT included with this program.
New CES'ers, good news! Once you participate in ANY CES program, you are a CES alumni for life and will save $$ on future programs!
No refunds will be provided in full or in part for any reason, including injury, after a program begins. No prorated fees are provided for late enrollments.
Please contact us at info@ChicagoEnduranceSports.com or call 866-237-7861 for more information.